Making The Big Move

I really want to mainly blog about all the wonderful places I am going to get to visit during my time as cabin crew. However It would be crazy not to write about my first few months here in Dubai. SO..

When the day eventually arrived for me to fly the nest and said goodbye to my family it was an odd one to say the least. In typical Rosie fashion I was still packing things the night before, I must have packed and repacked my bag about a zillion times. My family, Jack, Alice, Archie, Mum and dad and I all went to the Wing Wah (a Chinese buffet restaurant) down the road from my house, like to think of it as the ‘last supper’ ha! It was lovely, however when we left I had to say goodbye to Archie, Jack and Alice because only mum, dad and granddad came with me to the airport. It was hard and saying goodbye to all three was quite emotional, if you know me personally then you know how much they all mean to me. Kissing my nephew goodbye was very hard indeed, he is so young and so I felt like next time I see him so much will have changed.. which oh my is so true.. everytime I skype he looks so much bigger (and cute of course!)

Anyway back to the 22nd of August.. My flight left at like 3ish I think, but obviously I had to be at the airport earlier than this. We stopped off at my grandparents first so I could say goodbye to my nan, then my granddad came along with us to the airport. We had a quick coffee and all too soon It was time for me to go through into departures and go through passport control. In the weeks running up to my leaving date I tried not to think too much about saying goodbye to my parents, but at the airport obviously I couldn’t not think about it as it was happening for real. I gave them both a big hug and a kiss and my granddad too, yes there were tears but I quickly made my way through and tried not to look back.

Sitting in the departure lounge I was so anxious but ridiculously excited to board the plane and start my new life. Not long before my flight started to board Emirates crew walked past all in a line with their cabin bags and all looking so glamorous, I couldn’t help but giggle inside and thinking ‘that will be me soon.’.

The flight was lovely and even though the crew were very busy, they made a conscience effort to check I was okay and make me feel comfortable. They moved another new joiner named Gemma next to me and after that I felt so much more at ease, Gemma and I talked pretty much the whole way there (bar when we watched a film) but it was so nice to be able to talk to someone who was experiencing the same emotions as me.

When we got to Dubai airport we were met by two women, who basically helped us pick up the relevant documents and assigned us to our relevant transport.

I eventually made it to my new home in Al Nahda (Dubai side of Sharjah), I quietly unlocked my apartment door as I was told there was already a girl living with me and so I didn’t want to wake her. Unfortunately she woke up and was a bit surprised to see me as she wasn’t expecting someone to move in (my apartment changed for some reason). Nonetheless in her sleepy state she welcomed me and told me her name, Evi from Hungary. She said we’d catch up when she was back from her Indonesian flight and she went back to bed.

Slightly disorientated and pretty tired at this point I went straight to bed, feeling a little overwhelmed by everything, probably mostly the intense humid heat that hits you straight in the face as soon as you step outside.

I woke up at 04.15 am to the sound of the ‘call for prayer’ in the mosque that is opposite my apartment. Something which I am now used to and often sleep through, however at first I found it difficult to get used to as it is loud and of course we don’t have this in England.

Not being able to really sleep well due to butterflies in my tummy at the thought of a whole day to explore my new home, I got up straight away. I unpacked everything and sorted all my bits and bobs out and then I decided it would be a good idea to get a taxi to the closest metro station and take a trip to Dubail Mall, the world’s largest mall!

I have actually only been three times since I’ve been here so far, but oh wow what an experience it is! It would take something ridiculous like 21 days to get around all the shops, to be quite frank I felt like an ant when I was walking around and for my first day in Dubai to be on my own in the mall maybe wasn’t the best idea. It’s not even like I had a load of money to spend and I wasn’t with anyone to even go and enjoy all the amazing food that there is to offer in the food court area. Nonetheless it was still pretty cool and I felt good about getting out and about and getting my bearings a little bit. I eventually got back home at around 10pm at night, after buying a few essentials from the supermarket (Lulu Hypermarket) at the metro station I went to (Stadium).

I got to bed quite late in the end which was a tad annoying as I was up bright and early the next day for my first day of my Induction week. The next day was the start of my Cabin Crew life.

My first morning of Induction before my red polo wearing days!

My German-Lebanese friend Mirna and I on induction day

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive