Video Review: Sia - 'Chanderlier'

So I have only just seen the video to Sia's latest song 'Chandelier' which is taken off her sixth studio album, '1000 Forms Of Fear', I absolutely love the song it's powerful and catchy and Sia's vocals never fail to impress me.

However I couldn't help but feel a little creeped out by the dancer/gymnast in the video. I couldn't decide if I liked it or loved it, the girl in the video is absolutely tiny and so I wondered if she is in fact a young teenage girl, however her face looked older. The choreography was bizzare but brilliant at the same time. I couldn't knock the fact that the girl had moves. 

But when the song finished I was left feeling unsure as to whether I liked the video or not.

So I did a bit of research into the meaning of the song and to find out a bit more about the dancer. Turns out the girl in the video is in fact an 11-year-old girl, by the name of  Maddie Ziegler. Ziegler was personally asked by Sia to feature in the video via Twitter!

The lyrics reflect a sad theme, talking about the "glitter and fatigue of a party girl's life." John Walker from MTV Buzzworthy opined that the song has a dark theme, "toeing the line between celebration and self-destruction as it becomes increasingly more blurred."

The video was directed by Sia herself and Daniel Askill and was choreographed by Ryan Heffington.

In the video, Ziegler wears a blonde bobbed Sia wig, whilst she dances around the deserted room, kicking, spinning, twisting, bending, leaping, falling, crawling and hiding behind the window's curtains. 

The choreography was praised in the media, Nolan Feenay from Time magazine even commented that the dance moves in 'Chandelier' could be the best dance routine of 2014.

So watch the video and tell me what you think of it...




XOX





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive